Saturday, May 14, 2005

Soccer Stress

Today my son had a soccer game. I used to think that those "sideline" parents that flip out and argue with refs and coaches were just morons. I can't really see myself ever getting overly upset with a coach or an official, but I can definitely see how I could get a little carried away in the cheering/instructing stuff. My son was in la-la land today during the game. Every now and again he would perk up and get into the game but he did a lot of watching and walking. Unlike most kids, he actually seems to prefer the practices to the games. All the drills and the games that they do for the younger soccer kids at practice seem more interesting to him than the actual matches (maybe I was like that too because I just wanted to chat with my friends). During the game I found myself yelling "HUSTLE" and "RUN" and all sorts of stuff to try to get him moving. We signed him up for soccer to help him get the whole teamwork concept and for the social interaction. But it is hard to see your child not giving their best. I guess that is one of the hard parts of parenting -- how do you get your child to want to do his or her best? But truthfully, I guess I should count my blessings that he loves to go to the games and practices. Rainy days and cancelled games cause major disappointment here. Maybe I'll take him out and run around with the ball (like I can really improve things).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home