Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The Blow Off?

I ran into a friend from high school two years ago this month. I was pregnant with my third and he was with a woman that he married last summer. It was nice to see him. We exchanged e-mail addresses but I was about to have a baby and more or less forgot about him again.

Fast forward to last summer when I heard that he was getting married. I found that slip of paper with his e-mail address and sent him a congratulatory note. He responded with much enthusiasm and we started communicating on and off. In February he e-mailed again and we decided to get together for dinner with our spouses and another couple that are our mutual friends (I sort of thought we might need a "buffer" couple). We had a nice dinner out and ALL said that we should do it again. I actually left that evening thinking that we had made some "new" friends. We had a great time and laughed the whole night.

After the February dinner, high school guy and I didn't communicate for a couple months. In April I sent out an e-mail inviting the two couples to come to our house for dinner (something we had discussed doing before the evening ended at the first dinner together). The buffer couple eagerly and quickly replied that they would love to come. I have yet to receive any response from the high school guy and his wife. I sent another e-mail about 3 weeks later to jog his memory in case he just got distracted or forgot about the original e-mail. Still no response here more than a week later.

Because I am over-analyzing this I will throw out for your consideration that I think this guy might have had a crush on me in high school -- but we never dated and we definitely never had that weird "I like you" discussion. One more thing, I ran into HS guy and his wife at the movie theater after our initial e-mails but before our first dinner out. I was standing by myself because my husband was in the restroom. HS guy and wife were with another couple that I did not know. Upon my introduction to the "other" couple, the female blurted out "you know they are married right?" referring to HS guy and wife. I was somewhat taken aback by it but told Nosy Newsy lady that yes I did know they were married. Then I mentioned that MY husband was in the bathroom. I suddenly felt like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction.

So is there some issue here where the wife and her friends think I am after HS guy, are my husband and I just being blown off as a couple, or is it possible that his lack of response has nothing to do with me (and in that case is he just rude?). I really like them and am baffled by how this guy could go from very enthusiastic about our renewed friendship to nothing at all. Weird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home