Friday, June 10, 2005

Laziness

We are just back from the beach. We had a great time in the Outerbanks (N.C.). The kids are all rosy cheeked and healthy looking (in a responsible sunscreen parent sort of way). Only major problem is that I can't get back into the swing of things here. The house is a wreck, laundry needs to be folded, bathrooms are getting grimy, kids are at loose ends because toys are scattered and pieces are not together, and my brain feels frozen to do anything about it. I am in a rut.

We had a birthday party for my middle child who turned 4 the week before we left for the beach. Because my attention shifted to the beach preparation right after the party, we still have silly string on the deck, birthday presents in the living room, empty boxes and gift bags sitting around, and all sorts of other birthday related stuff strewn about. It was not especially wonderful to get back from the beach with a messy house awaiting us. I knew as we walked out the door that I would regret coming back to a messy house. Funny the things that I tell myself to do but never get around to doing. And now there is beach clutter to add to the pile of birthday debris.

I just don't know why it takes me so long to recover from events. Those people who stay up late after a party to wash dishes (like my husband) are saints. I exert so much last minute energy when I am hosting something that I just can't get back into the clean-up side until much later.
My mother always says her house is wreck, even though it always perfectly tidy and clean. My whole childhood the house was neat and clean. Why has that clean gene skipped me? Maybe my kids will be really tidy adults. Today I have one goal. It is to finish cleaning the laundry. Tomorrow we'll worry about folding it.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home